On Monday May 10, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the U.S. Supreme Court. Much has already been written in the media and on law blogs around the web, so we won’t go into the details that have already been publicized. We do however provide links to some of these posts and articles if you would like to check them out. These links are at the bottom of this post under Related Posts From Around the Web. For now though, we turn our attention to the law review articles within HeinOnline that were authored by Supreme Court Nominee, Elena Kagan.
As a scholar who focused on issues ranging from freedom of speech to government policy making, Kagan authored a number of law review articles in publications including the Harvard Law Review, Texas Law Review, Harvard Journal of Law & Gender, Law and Social Inquiry, Supreme Court Review, Record of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, U.C. Davis Law Review, and the University of Chicago Law Review.
Below is a list of articles available in HeinOnline. Click on any article to link to the full-text from within HeinOnline.
NOTE: You must be subscribed to the appropriate HeinOnline collection in order to access the full-text.
- For Justice Marshall
71 Tex. L. Rev. 1125 (1992-1993)
- The Changing Faces of First Amendment Neutrality: R.A.V. v. St. Paul, Rust v. Sullivan, and the Problem of Content-Based Underinclusion
1992 Sup. Ct. Rev. 29 (1992)
- A Libel Story: Sullivan Then and Now (Review)
18 Law & Soc. Inquiry 197 (1993)
- Regulation of Hate Speech and Pornography after R. A. V.
60 U. Chi. L. Rev. 873 (1993)
- Confirmation Messes, Old and New (Review)
62 U. Chi. L. Rev. 919 (1995)
- When a Speech Code Is a Speech Code: The Stanford Policy and the Theory of Incidental Restraints
29 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 957 (1995-1996)
- Private Speech, Public Purpose: The Role of Governmental Motive in First Amendment Doctrine
63 U. Chi. L. Rev. 413 (1996)
- Presidential Administration
114 Harv. L. Rev. 2245 (2000-2001)
- Chevron’s Nondelegation Doctrine
2001 Sup. Ct. Rev. 201 (2001)
- In Memoriam: David Westfall
119 Harv. L. Rev. 947 (2005-2006)
- Commentaries: Richard Posner, The Judge
120 Harv. L. Rev. 1121 (2006-2007)
- Remarks Commemorating Celebration 55: The Women’s Leadership Summit
32 Harv. J.L. & Gender 233 (2009)
- Women and the Legal Profession – A Status Report
61 Rec. Ass’n B. City N.Y. 37 (2006)
From the White House Blog:
Elena Kagan: What They’re Saying
From the Volokh Conspiracy Blog:
Elena Kagan as a Scholar
From the SCOTUSblog (Supreme Court of the United States Blog):
9750 Words on Elena Kagan
From the New York Times:
Obama Picks Kagan, Scholar but Not Judge, for Court Seat
Obama Picks Elena Kagan for Supreme Court
From The Hill’s Blog Briefing Room:
President Obama picks Solicitor General Kagan to Supreme Court