While 2020 brought fear, sadness, and uncertainty, it also sparked creativity in birthday drive-by parades, the appreciation of comfy sweatpants, and enjoying the simple things in life. Amidst all of the chaos, one thing that remained constant was HeinOnline. Whether you were researching in your bedroom, your kitchen, or your home office, we provided you with new and relevant content each month.
As the saying goes, out with the old, in with the new. Let’s take a look at what’s been added in the past month to kick off this new year.
DECEMBER CONTENT RELEASE SUMMARY
Updated databases: 63
New titles: 1,165
New volumes: 1,882
New pages added last month: 687,766
Total pages in HeinOnline: 190,980,136
Highlights from the Past Month
1. We Broke Down 2020’s Substantial Addition of Legislative Histories
In total, 91 legislative histories were added to the database over the past 12 months, spanning more than 230,000 pages and covering a range of topics, from energy research and development to the president’s national emergency powers to music copyright in the streaming era.
2. We Implemented a Multi-Level Taxonomy in our Law Journal Library
To make our Topics even more intuitive, discoverable, and user friendly, we categorized them within a multi-level taxonomy. The same Topics are available, but they’re now organized into a logical hierarchy that allows users to drill down from broad areas of study to their specific topics of interest.
3. We Expanded Your Knowledge on Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals
We brought you tips from the experts themselves on how to use the Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals. To make sure you’re maximizing this great resource, along with AALL, we are offering a free webinar training!
4. Case Citation Alerts Were Added to Author Profile Pages
Thanks to a suggestion from Corinne Jacox of Creighton University, users can now receive email alerts when an author has been cited by a case that has been added to HeinOnline. Authors and librarians alike will love this new feature!
5. Australian Guide to Legal Citations (AGLC) Was Added
Thanks to a suggestion from Neerav Srivastava of Monash University, we added the Australian Guide to Legal Citations (AGLC) to HeinOnline. We knew that with our holdings of more than 90 Australian journals, this would greatly benefit our customers.
6. We Broke Down How to Navigate Titles, Volumes, Sections and Pages
In our Tip of the Week, we explained how to digitally navigate the structure of a title within HeinOnline. Read the post to see the breakdown of titles, volumes, sections, and pages or check out this quick video tutorial.
7. We Explained How to Find Authoritative Sources Using ScholarCheck
When browsing through scholarly journals and secondary sources in HeinOnline, it’s imperative to know how authoritative a source is for your research. ScholarCheck analyzes citation data to provide the most-cited journals, articles, and authors and aides researchers in quickly locating related material. Read the post to learn how to use ScholarCheck or check out this quick video tutorial.
Major Database Updates
We’ve added a ton of content to some of our most popular HeinOnline databases! Check out the substantial additions this month:
- The Law Journal Library continues to grow with the additional of 10 new journals, including the NOMOS series—annual volumes from the highly regarded American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy discussing political and legal theory.
- 288 CRS Reports, 185 hearings, and 9 committee prints were added to the U.S. Congressional Documents database.
- The Serial Set grew by the addition of 400 volumes and 200,000+ pages.
- More than 115 titles were added to the Legal Classics Library.
- GAO Reports grew with the additional of nearly 110 new titles.
- 33 titles were added to Taxation and Economic Reform in America: Parts 1 & II.
- 29 titles were added to World Constitutions Illustrated.
- Spinelli’s Law Library Reference Shelf grew by 21 titles.
- 17 titles were added to History of International Law.
That’s not all! Expand each collection below to discover additional updates, along with our favorite titles from each addition.
But wait, there’s more! Access the comprehensive list of all new material added and updated in the December Content Release.