When HeinOnline was initially launched, it contained just 23 law journals. Even though our research platform has expanded to include government documents, international resources, case law, and more, our journal content continues to be the most popular material accessed on a daily basis. In the last 12 months, the Law Journal Library received more than 120 million hits! Let’s explore some more stats on the Law Journal Library, and why it’s considered the greatest of all Hein.
One thing that sets HeinOnline apart from other vendors is that our journal coverage dates back to inception. If you’re looking for a journal that began in the 1800s, you can count on HeinOnline to include the very first issue. We are constantly adding new journals each month and expanding our collection, whether it be with new partnerships, or journals looking to be discovered in the academic world.
Did you know that 99% of the journals listed in Washington and Lee’s Law Journal Rankings can be found in HeinOnline? Released on July 15, 2022, the 2021 Rankings provide citation data and calculated ranks for the top 400 U.S.-published law journals and the top 100 law journals published outside the United States for the years of 2017-2021. If we only look at the top 150 journals, HeinOnline contains every single one.
Most recently, we audited the top 154 law journals compiled by Observatory of International Research (OOIR) and found that HeinOnline contains 85% of those journals as well. Their goal is to find the latest articles from leading social science journals to help scholars stay up-to-date with the latest research, pluralize the disciplines by directing attention to articles which may otherwise be overlooked, and make the frontiers of social science scholarship discoverable to the public.
An Array of Multidisciplinary Content
With the addition of PathFinder to the Law Journal Library, users can search and browse across more than 1,500 multidisciplinary subjects. Every single article in the Law Journal Library has been assigned one or more subjects. Here are PathFinder’s five most broad subjects. Click on each one to find about 40 slightly more nuanced subjects within the taxonomy.
Learn more about PathFinder in the short video below.
Not only does HeinOnline’s Law Journal Library contain subjects that are useful for any researcher, it also contains journals from all around the world—87 countries to be exact. Users can find more than 1,800 journals from the United States, but don’t forget to check out the Browse by Country option to see how many journals we have for each country listed.
Top Number of Journals in HeinOnline From Around the World
When browsing through scholarly journals in HeinOnline, it’s imperative to know how authoritative a source is for your research. ScholarCheck analyzes citation data to provide the most-cited journals, articles, and authors and aides researchers in quickly locating related material.
Using ScholarCheck, let’s look at the most-cited content in the Law Journal Library.
Top 10 Most-Cited Articles
(1) Right to Privacy (Cited 5,341 times)
(2) The Problem of Social Cost (Cited 4,400 times)
(4) Property Rules, Liability Rules, and Inalienability: One View of the Cathedral (Cited 2,891 times)
(5) Toward Neutral Principles of Constitutional Law (Cited 2,822 times)
(6) The Id, the Ego, and Equal Protection: Reckoning with Unconscious Racism (Cited 2,360 times)
(7) The New Property (Cited 2,343 times)
(8) Neutral Principles and Some First Amendment Problems (Cited 2,232 times)
(9) State Constitutions and the Protection of Individual Rights (Cited 2,201 times)
(10) Privacy (Cited 2,168 times)
Top 10 Most-Cited Cases
(1) Brown et al. v. Board of Education of Topeka et al. (Cited by 26,496 articles)
(2) Roe et al. v. Wade, District Attorney of Dallas County (Cited by 24,378 articles)
(3) Griswold et al. v. Connecticut (Cited by 20,588 articles)
(4) Miranda v. Arizona (Cited by 16,239 articles)
(5) New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (Cited by 15,348 articles)
(6) Chevron U.S.A. Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., et al. (Cited by 13,943 articles)
(7) Erie Railroad Co. v. Tompkins (Cited by 12,893 articles)
(8) Mapp v. Ohio (Cited by 12,404 articles)
(9) Gideon v. Wainwright, Corrections Director (Cited by 12,104 articles)
(10) Lochner v. New York (Cited by 12,071 articles)
Top 10 Most-Cited Journals
(1) Harvard Law Review (Cited 392,610 times)
(2) Yale Law Journal (Cited 318,912 times)
(3) Columbia Law Review (Cited 237,703 times)
(4) Stanford Law Review (Cited 150,794 times)
(5) Michigan Law Review (Cited 147,529 times)
(6) University of Pennsylvania Law Review (Cited 146,296 times)
(7) Virginia Law Review (Cited 130,048 times)
(8) California Law Review (Cited 128,626 times)
(9) International Legal Materials (Cited 111,080 times)
(10) University of Chicago Law Review (Cited 106,242 times)
Top 10 Most-Cited Authors
(1) Sunstein, Cass (Cited by 30,676 articles)
(2) Posner, Richard A. (Cited by 25,645 articles)
(3) Lemley, Mark Alan (Cited by 16,489 articles)
(4) Easterbrook, Frank H. (Cited by 13,754 articles)
(5) Epstein, Richard A. (Cited by 12,565 articles)
(6) Eskridge, William (Cited by 12,267 articles)
(7) Coffee, John C. Jr. (Cited by 10,603 articles)
(8) Schauer, Frederick (Cited by 10,247 articles)
(9) Pound, Roscoe (Cited by 10,078 articles)
(10) Tushnet, Mark (Cited by 9,917 articles)
Top 10 Most-Accessed Articles
(2) Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence against Women of Color (Accessed 11,740 times)
(3) Who’s Afraid of Critical Race Theory (Accessed 4,263 times)
(4) The New Jim Crow (Accessed 3,744 times)
(5) Theory as Liberatory Practice (Accessed 2,884 times)
(6) Foundation for a General Strain Theory of Crime and Delinquency (Accessed 2,762 times)
(7) The Benefits of Marijuana Legalization and Regulation (Accessed 2,744 times)
(8) Savages, Victims, and Saviors: The Metaphor of Human Rights (Accessed 2,572 times)
(9) Positivism and the Separation of Law and Morals (Accessed 2,361 times)
But there is so much more to discover! HeinOnline has created its own ScholarRank, where users can discover the top-ranked authors, journals, and articles in HeinOnline. So the next time you sit down to research a topic using scholarly articles, don’t forget HeinOnline contains the most comprehensive international and multidisciplinary content with tools to find authoritative papers at your fingertips!