REPORTS OF U.S. PRESIDENTIAL COMMISSIONS AND OTHER ADVISORY BODIES: A BIBLIOGRAPHIC LISTING
NAMED TO THE 2018 LIST OF BEST HISTORICAL MATERIALS
Full-Text Reports from the Most Well-Known Presidential Commissions
Reports of U.S. Presidential Commissions and Other Advisory Bodies: A Bibliographic Listing by Louis W. Bookheim is a unique resource containing the most current and comprehensive listing of publications created by presidential advisory bodies. United States presidents have historically created such advisory groups—also called committees, commissions, boards, blue ribbon panels, or task forces—to advise them on particular problems or issues. In the past, these commissions have explained catastrophes such as the Gulf oil spill, Challenger Space Shuttle accident, Pearl Harbor, the AIDS epidemic, and more.
This collection will aid researchers interested in United States history, political science, and law. Both the print and online versions are indexed by commission/advisory body name, report title, report subject, and presidential administration. Whenever possible, links to the full text of reports are provided. Citations to published government documents and OCLC numbers are provided for publications when applicable.
To maintain currency, the online resource will be updated at least twice annually as new material is discovered, indexed, and integrated into the database. The print edition will also be updated regularly as needed.
- Includes current and extensive listing of publications created by presidential advisory bodies
- Database will be updated regularly with publications from current presidents and newly discovered documents from past administrations
- More than 6,300 database entries from the administrations of Andrew Jackson to Donald Trump
- Nearly 1,700 entries link to full text documents
- Includes related hearings, scholarly articles and more!
2018 List of Best Historical Materials
Reports of U.S. Presidential Commissions and Other Advisory Bodies: A Bibliographic Listing has been named to the 2018 List of Best Historical Materials. The list recognizes effectiveness in coverage of historical resources in all fields of history and promotes enhanced availability of historical works and information, and is published in Reference and User Services Quarterly. The sources selected by the Historical Materials committee seek to improve the usefulness of bibliographies, historical materials, and indexes in the field of history and is shared among bibliographers, indexers, publishers, and professional associations.
Full Text Reports from the Most Well-Known Presidential Commissions
More than 1,700 full-text reports are included in the database, including those from more than ten of the most well-known
- Commission to Investigate and Report the Facts Relating to the Attack made by Japanese Armed Forces upon Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941 (Roberts Commission)
- President’s Committee on Civil Rights
- President’s Commission on the Status of Women
- President’s Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy (Warren Commission)
- President’s Commission on Campus Unrest
- President’s Special Review Board (Iran Contra, Tower Commission)
- Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS
- Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction (Iraq Intelligence Commission)
- National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (9/11 Commission)
- National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling
- National Commission on Law Observance and Enforcement (Wickersham Commission)
- Commission on the Organization of the Executive Branch of the Government, 1947-1949 and 1953-1955 (Hoover Commission)
Selected Commission subjects
- American Indians
- Challenger Space Shuttle
- Chemical Warfare
- Domestic Violence
- Drug Abuse
- Foreign Aid
- Global Warming
- Gun Control
- Health Care
- Identity Theft
- International Trade
- Labor Disputes
- Mental Health
- National Security
- Nuclear Weapons
- Organized Crime
- Social Security
- Toxic Substances
- United Nations
- War Criminals
- World Hunger
- HUNDREDS MORE!
Using the Database
Search the Commission Reports Index using the search fields located on the database homepage. Available search fields include Keywords, President, Commission Subject, Commission/Author, and Report Title. The main search bar, located at the top of the page, will search both the index and all available full text reports. The Commission Reports Index can also be browsed by President, Commission Name, Commission Subject, and Report Title.
Additional Database Content
In addition to the Commission Reports Index, the database contains:
- An A-Z list of available full text reports, which are also accessible through linking within the Commission Reports Index
- Books related to presidential commissions
- Congressional hearings on presidential commissions
- A bibliography of external resources with corresponding OCLC numbers
- Scholarly articles written about presidential commissions
Print & Online. Database will be updated twice annually; print to be updated as needed…………………….$275.00*
Additional Print Copies…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….$85.00
Reports of U.S. Presidential Commissions and Other Advisory Bodies: A Bibliographic Listing
Item #: 72285
Pages: vi, 572p.
Published: Getzville; William S. Hein & Co., Inc.; 2017
*New print edition expected every 3-5 years; database updated monthly. Customers will be billed upon release of new print edition.