This privacy statement describes how William S. Hein & Co., Inc. collects and uses the personal information you provide on the following websites: https://heinonline.org; https://shop.heinonline.org; https://home.heinonline.org; https://help.heinonline.org; http://heingreenslips.com; ftp://ftp.wshein.com; and https://www.wshein.com.
To enable access to HeinOnline, calculate overall account usage statistics, and for technical support purposes, we may collect information concerning your internet protocol address, domain name, username and password, or other authentication methods, such as Shibboleth. We also may collect certain non-personally identifiable information, such as the type of browser you are using (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer) and the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac)
- Server logs are kept for 3 years, specifically for the purpose of providing historical usage statistics.
- To facilitate short-term subscriptions from heinonline.org, we may collect your name, username and password, postal address, email address, phone number, and transactional information. We collect but do not store your credit card details through a third party service provider.
- In connection with your creation of a MyHein account, we collect your name, email address, username and password, as well as other information you may choose to provide.
- If you choose to subscribe to our mailing list, we require your email address, name, organization, job title, and country, as well as other information you may choose to provide.
Using HeinOnline requires cookies for authentication purposes. Session cookies are stored in temporary memory and are not retained after the browser is closed. Session cookies do not collect information from the user’s computer.
We are the sole owners of the information collected on our websites. William S. Hein & Co., Inc. does not sell, give, or trade the personal information we collect to any 3rd parties for data-mining or marketing purposes.
Use of Data
William S. Hein & Co., Inc. uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To provide customer care and support
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Service
- To monitor the usage of the Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
The lawful basis for this processing is for the administration of our business and the provision of our services, which is necessary for the legitimate interests of our business. Processing is also necessary in order for William S. Hein & Co., Inc. to fulfill its contractual obligations (license agreement) to our customers.
Transfer of Data
Disclosure of Data
William S. Hein & Co., Inc. may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of William S. Hein & Co., Inc.
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline. While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (e.g. billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers on which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. MyHein account data is stored indefinitely, but users may delete their own MyHein accounts and all associated data at any time (MyHein menu, “delete your MyHein account”)
Your Rights as a Data Subject
You have rights as a data subject. These rights are:
- The right of access– you have the right to access your personal data that we hold. This is called a subject access request. We must respond to your request within one month. To request access to your data, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the personal data you are seeking.
- The right to rectification– if you think the data we hold on you is incorrect, you may let us know and we will correct it. You can do this by emailing email@example.com.
- The right to erasure – you have the right to request that we delete your data. To request this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The right to restrict processing– you can change your communication preferences (therefore restricting how we communicate with you) by emailing email@example.com
- The right to data portability– you can obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. To request this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The right to object– you have the right to object to a) Direct marketing from William S. Hein & Co., Inc. You can opt out of direct marketing any time by emailing email@example.com. There will also be instructions on how to unsubscribe included in any direct marketing message that we send to you. b) Any processing where our lawful basis is legitimate interest (see “use of data” section above). If you would like to formally object to any of our legitimate interest processing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling– this is not something we do at William S. Hein & Co., Inc. If that ever changes, this policy will be updated accordingly.
William S. Hein & Co., Inc.
ATTN: Data Protection Officer
2350 North Forest Rd.
Getzville, NY 14068
Telephone: (+1) 716-882-2600
Toll Free: 1-800-828-7571